Troon Walks

Walks around Troon and the Smugglers’ Trail to Dundonald.

  • The Smugglers’ Trail 8 km / 5 miles
  • Troon Town Centre Circular 5.2 km / 3.2 miles
  • Fullarton Woods to Woodland Walk 5.3 km / 3.3 miles
  • Royal Troon Golf Course Walk 7 km / 4.3 miles
  • Loans Historic Walk 10.3 km / 6.4 miles
  • Past and Present Circular 13.7 km / 8.5 miles

The Smugglers’ Trail was developed by Dundonald, Loans and Troon Community Councils, in partnership with South Ayrshire Council, which promotes and maintains the route.

Facilities

Parking icon

Car parks along the shore e.g. St. Meddans, Troon KA10 6JU

Cafe icon

Refreshments at the esplanade kiosk near the car park and Troon town centre KA10 6JU

Picnic table icon

Bench seats along the esplanade, Troon KA10 6JU

Public toilets icon

Public toilets between the car park and the esplanade, St. Meddans, Troon KA10 6JU

Walking routes

Troon Walks - Smuggler's

Collennan Reservoir, Smuggler’s Trail Photo: GILLIAN CRAIG / GILLIAN’S WALKS

The Smugglers' Trail 8 km / 5 miles

This trail leads from South Beach, Troon, along the Wrack Road across Royal Troon Golf Course, past Crosbie Kirk and through Fullarton Woods. From the Main Street, Loans the trail crosses ancient woodland and enjoys stunning views over the Firth of Clyde. This historic route has been in regular use from early times including by those famous smugglers. Rumour has it the smugglers may return after Brexit. An easy to moderate coastal and woodland walk the incline sharpens to 1:6 in places. The walk takes about 2 hours. Sensible footwear is advised as the path can be muddy in places.

More information on The Smugglers’ Trail leaflet and Gillian’s Walks.

Troon Yacht Haven

Troon Yacht Haven marina

Troon Town Centre Circular 5.2 km / 3.2 miles

This walk is good for all seasons of the year and takes in the history of the Ballast Bank and Troon Harbour, an area developed in 1806 by the Duke of Portland to export his coal from Kilmarnock to Ireland. Troon Marina is built on the site of the first steam engine railway that ran from Kilmarnock from 1816. 

More information on the Paths Around Troon leaflet.

Fullarton Woods

Fullarton Woods Photo: JOHN PATTERSON

Fullarton Woods to Woodland Walk 5.3 km / 3.3 miles

This walk starts from Fullarton Woods car park. On the way south of the car park, adjacent to the rugby club, lie the remains of Crosby Castle. This was dismantled by in 1745 and rebuilt as Fullarton House by Colonel William Fullarton, which was itself demolished in 1966. The original coach house and farm buildings remain and have been renovated into a terraced courtyard through a baronial archway. The walk goes along the cycle path before returning to the car park. 

More information on the Paths Around Troon leaflet.

Royal Troon Golf Course, Arran in background

Royal Troon golf course

Royal Troon Golf Course Walk 7 km / 4.3 miles

Starting from the Town Hall, which was built and financed by the 6th Duke of Portland, follow the esplanade to Royal Troon Golf Clubhouse before going onto the sands beyond the dunes. Taking the path across the golf course to join the cycle path. Continue on the cycle path to Marr College built in 1935 by Charles Kerr Marr who left his vast fortune for education of the people of Troon. The walk returns to Troon Town Hall. 

More information on the Paths Around Troon leaflet.

Royal Troon Golf Clubhouse

Royal Troon golf clubhouse Photo: JOHN PATTERSON

Past and Present Circular 13.7 km / 8.5 miles

This walk also starts at Troon Town Hall going north along the esplanade following the cycle path, this time continuing along the shoreline to Barassie. Then on to Barassie railway station, Loans, the Smugglers Path, Fullarton Woods, Royal Troon Golf Course before returning to the Town Hall. 

More information on the Paths Around Troon leaflet.

Loans Historic Walk 10.3 km / 6.4 miles

This walk starts at Troon Town Hall going north along the esplanade following the cycle path towards the site of the former swimming pool and Port Ronald. Then towards Marr College and the path between Muirhead and Loans. The land was loaned to Robert the Bruce to take care of his troops who had leprosy and was known as Robertloan, through time reduced to Loans. The walk takes one of the smugglers routes, then through Fullarton Woods and eventually back to the Town Hall via South Beach esplanade. 

More information on the Paths Around Troon leaflet.